
Sadly, this is no joke. Really – I’m not kidding. If you’re tuning in to today’s entry … it is quite the story. I’m not exactly sure if it was Jeremy’s bad “I don’t want to go” juju or my secret stashed extra case of beer. But - we started out on the big journey, with big smiles on our faces, shortly after 7am. Then, at the stop sign at the end of our street (bottom of a hill) – CRASH. The trailer fell off the truck. The big expensive new hitch (I mentioned in a previous entry) snapped clean off. Funny how you can plan for so long, take every precaution, and over-prepare for anything that can happen, but there was nothing we could have done to prevent this. Anyway, back to the story … we drag the trailer (attached only with the newly upgraded “extra heavy” safety chains) to the side of the road, and Greg peeks at the damage. (That’s when he announces the trip is over.) However, even though instantly overwhelmed in stress, he proceeds to move forward. He spent the next 6 hours getting the hitch welded back together, and connecting it back up. So, with a slight delay, we head out – again. Then, with our first major press on the brakes, Greg realizes something is seriously wrong. And now, he is definitely ready to call it quits. But reaching the closest RV service station means continuing in the direction we’re headed. So, almost 2 hours from home, the service shop confirms that indeed it is the hitch that is still not working correctly, and recommends that we do not proceed on our trip. We back-track to stay with brother Craig in Stockton while Greg drives all the way back home to fetch our old hitch. It’s late now, and he’s not back yet, but hopefully we can start out fresh again tomorrow, and all we miss out on is a visit to a random ghost town in Barstow. But, I don’t know. Stay tuned for the next update! And pray for us that we’re not writing it from home. (Though it’s obvious someone’s looking out for us because who knows what would have happened if the trailer crashed off at 65 mph.)

We've all seen Robin Williams in the RV movie. I imagine you may continue to have these mishaps for the next two months. I recommend you keep very detailed notes of your trip so that you can write a book or movie script after your journeys. Perhaps it could lead to a remake of Lucille Ball's "The Long, Long Trailer." (I hope you have that movie for viewing on your trip or at least watched it immediately prior to your departure.) Perhaps this sabatical thing could lead to a lucrative venture.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have before and after pictures of that piece of crap Outbacker trailer. It sure looked pretty when it was new, but we'll see how it holds up to a 7,000+ mile road trip.
ReplyDeleteI was so looking forward to reading your blog this morning and see how your trip began, but this entry gave me the chills. I am so glad that it all happened before you were "really" on the road! I hope that all is looking up and that you are on the road again. This trip sounds incredible...a once in a lifetime event and I know how much work you put into planning a trip. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! WHEN you make it to Georgia, if you need anything you can always call my brother! :)
ReplyDeleteDont keep us hanging! Are you on the road yet? Sorry to hear this happened, but hopefully, its only a temporary setback. Head East Folsom Five!
ReplyDelete