
Chicago was added to our itinerary as basically an after-thought. Knowing little about it, I’ve failed to be drawn to it, and only recognized it as a frightfully cold city that delays planes. But that is not the Chicago we experienced today! Quite the opposite, actually, as it was one of the most gorgeous days yet after one of the dreariest Junes on record.
We started early, having to leave the campground at 6:15am to drive an hour, and make it to our boat tour. I thoroughly enjoyed exploring the soaring architecture on the Chicago Line cruise! So early on a Sunday morning, we were the only boat on Lake Michigan and then the Chicago River. I have to admit I’ve never given a lot of thought to tall buildings, but our docent attached a story to each one, bringing them to life. Most of his descriptions included the words “world’s biggest” or “world’s first”. Something about this place attracted ambitious people here and gave them much inspiration and determination!

Next we headed to Navy Pier to pick up the bikes I had reserved. I thought bikes would be a truly original way to experience a city! Tired Jeremy didn’t agree, and tried to sabotage the plans. He only saw negatives – that you have to wear a helmet, and cannot text while riding. Despite his mood, it was easy (for all of us) to enjoy the next 4 hours.
We rode along Lake Shore path to Museum Campus, and then backtracked through Grant
Park and Millennium Park. The “world’s largest” Buckingham Fountain really is impressive! Millennium Park had a lively festival going on. The distorted reflections in Cloud Gate (the large bean) are childishly captivating. Kate and Christopher had fun splashing around in Crown Fountain, though some of the tower’s projected images – cross-sections of 1,000 Chicagoans – were disproportionately scary. We had a picnic from nearby Giordano’s “famous” stuffed pizza, which hopefully isn’t representative of all Chicago pizza because we prefer our Folsom “Chicago Fire” version better.Before returning the bikes, we rode along the crowded shores towards Lincoln Park. Kate liked her “tag-along” bike, and repeatedly thanked us for renting them (and kept asking to ride some more)!

Next we enjoyed the theme-park diversions of Navy Pier. We rode the 150 foot-high Ferris wheel, the swing ride, and played mini-golf. I especially liked the pier’s views of the dramatic skyline and lakefront. The kids like the fun-house mirror views.
Lastly Kate and I couldn’t leave Chicago without visiting the flagship American Girl store. I much prefer this store’s sensible layout to those of New York and Los Angeles.
I left with a new opinion of Chicago. We hardly skimmed the top of everything a visit has to offer, and hopefully can return some day.

I told you to give more time to the Windy City. I absoulutely love it, and I find it to be one of the best "big" cities in America. But, I am amazed all you did do in one day!
ReplyDelete