Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 53 - Grand Tetons, WY

Today we drove a very long 8 ½ hours across the state of Wyoming. “Are we in the middle of nowhere?” Kate asks. We’ve driven through Wyoming many times before, and I’ve never been a fan. However today I’m intrigued by what draws people to live here? The land is desolate and expansive; I’m guessing minutes, hours and days cease to matter here. The closest towns are two hours away with absolutely nothing in between. We drove through a “town” with a population of one!

The end of our drive (along US 26) is where Wyoming gets absolutely gorgeous, and there is no question what draws people here! In my head I’m envisioning all the sights of our trip, and I’m pretty sure the Grand Tetons is the most stunning!

Waiting for us at the end of our long drive is our camping buddies Uncle Craig and Aunt Reene – with cold beer, appetizers, dinner, home-made desserts, and great conversation! (Watch out for Uncle Craig's secrets!) Everyone is happy to see them!

We are spending the next 5 nights inside Grand Tetons National Park at Colter Bay RV Park. We are by no means here for the expensive campground. Our site really couldn’t be smaller, and it is all dirt. At least it has full hook-ups, and is a very short walk to beautiful Jackson Lake and the towering Tetons. And despite all the people here, it is peacefully quiet.

1 comment:

  1. What a classic picture of Kate -- it could be the cover for Young American Fisherman magazine (if there was such a publication).

    ReplyDelete