Thursday, June 11, 2009

Day 13 – French Quarter

Entry by Jeremy:

Today I woke up at around 6:50 brushed my teeth and got out my DS and started playing Call of Duty World at War. I didn’t know we would be leaving to go to French Quarter as early as we did so I had to stop playing and get together all of my stuff. For you who don’t know me I’m not a good morning dude so if something doesn’t go my way I get kinda mad. Well we got into the car and drove for about 20 minutes and got to the area where we had to pay and park…we missed the first ferry by ~1 minute and had to wait another 30. On the ferry we were like the only ones on it. First we went to café du monde and had these donut things with way too much powder sugar. When we were done with breakfast we went to go catch a street car ($6.25 for the ride…too much money) to the cemetery tour. It is about an hour long. At the end the guy was just about to compliment the kids on how we did not act bored, but just as he said that I yawned -.-…
Next we went to Johnny’s for lunch they had really good sandwiches. I don’t know what mine was called because my mom just told me that they said it was good, so she ordered it. Next we went on a carriage ride. It was like 60$, but this guy was an awesome dude.
After that we went shopping at a bunch of shops. There was the funniest shirts and signs I have ever seen in my life for sale. Danger explosive personality keep out; officer, I swear to drunk I’m not God; (arrow up) the man (arrow down) the legend; I just got bourbon faced on *crap* street; screw milk got pot?; Gods busy (devil face) can I help you?; We are trying to keep this bathroom clean you all need to do your part Gentlemen: aim better it is smaller than you think. Ladies: please remain seated for the whole performance; I am with -> this *butt* hole…I wanted to buy some of these but my parents are like not appropriate for a 12 year old to be wearing this stuff. They let me buy the danger explosive personality sign though. In the next store I was acting a little retarded so I tried a sample of the habanera tobasco hot sauce. It’s not spicy it hurts…I finished 2 Dr. Peppers, but it didn’t help. I just toughed it out. I would recommend unless you are sure you like spicy stuff don’t try something too spicy. Then we walked to get ice cream and the dude is like forget it I’m out of ice cream ran out at 12. I don’t think he ever had ice cream because last time I saw him there was a line and no one got ice cream. Then we went to try alligator at a place on Bourbon. It is so good it tastes like calamari but like 2x better. Then we went to a place to eat. My parents got gumbo soup, but me Chris and Kate got taco bell. I got a crunch wrap supreme with no lettuce or tomatoes (I think they take away from the flavor of it. Other than that I like tomatoes.). I thought New Orleans is a really cool place. If it wasn’t as hot in the summer and not as many bad dudes there I would consider living there…,but I still say Arizona is the best place to live in the US. I have also had the best time on this whole trip at my Aunt Arlene and Uncle Jim’s house.

A few extras by Mom:
- I thought Jeremy should buy the sign that said TEENAGERS! Tired of being harassed by your parents? ACT NOW!! Move out, get a job, pay your own way while you still know everything! But he didn’t see any humor in that one. I should have bought it anyway.
- Knock on wood, but Jeremy hasn't mentioned going home since Day 7.
- Regarding the cemetery, I’ve always assumed when you’re buried, you’re left undisturbed to rest in peace. However in this cemetery, after exactly 1 year and 1 day they can open up the mausoleum, shove the human remains to the lower section of the tomb, dispose of the casket, and be ready for the next burial. This process allows for “unlimited interment” and explains how 30+ bodies can fit into the small space. This website summarizes the interesting aspects of our tour: http://www.lafayettecemetery.org/burial-styles-traditions
- The horse carriage driver downloaded us with the entire history and traditions of the French Quarter during our 30 minute ride. Very interesting and informative, and too much to process in that short time.
- Absorbing the French Quarter's sights, sounds and smells was awesome.

4 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't bring the cat. We could hear from him too. (Sorry Glenn.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post jeremy! Love the t-shirts, but I have to agree with your parents...a little too advanced for you bud!

    My DW and I are headed through Louisiana on our way to Vicksburg, MS tomorrow to see my neice compete for the Miss Teen Mississippi pageant. If you want to see southern charm and grace at its best, you should come! And Jeremy, before you ask, yes, she has a boyfriend!

    Love the blog! Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I apologize for my cat comment. I thought Jeremy's post was akin to the cat that used to tell us about Christmas at his house (i.e., he didn't really write it) because it is better than I would expect from many (if not most) high school students. Well, turns out it was 100% Jeremy and that we have quite a writer on our hands. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It still looks like Disneyland to us!!!

    ReplyDelete