Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 24 – “Charles Town”





Happy Father’s Day!

Today we went on Ed Grimball’s walking tour of “Charles Town” – the original name for Charleston. The tour was fascinating (and long and hot). We started at the Waterfront Park, walked past Rainbow Row, and through the Battery. They have made a painstaking effort to preserve the buildings here – 97% of them cannot be demolished. We learned about the church steeple that miraculously survived the Union army’s 545 day bombardment. And at some point during the tour, Greg and I realized we were both thinking the same thing … let’s find a house for sale here!

Sweetgrass basket making has been a part of this community for 300 years – a practice brought here by the slaves. The baskets are beautiful and will last a lifetime. But the price is stunning. A modest size costs $150. A Barbie-size costs $20. My picture was free (though several others posted signs stating “no photos”).

During our walk Christopher comments on a street light’s “walk” sign – that he hasn’t seen one before. I thought he means today, but he means ever…he has never seen a sign that says walk/don’t walk!

We found a refreshingly cool restaurant for lunch – attracted by the name, “The Crab Shack”. Of course the boys got crab again. I tried food from the area – she crab soup and fried green tomatoes (which I’ve been wanting to try since I saw Driving Miss Daisy). Yum!

Afterwards Christopher and I want to tour a house. It is difficult to choose which one historical house to visit, but Christopher wants to see the Nathaniel Russell house. As it turns out, the Travel Channel tours with us, so you might see us on tv! The house is widely recognized as one of America’s most important neoclassical dwellings. It is best known for its “free-flying” staircase (meaning it has no supports and is not attached to a wall). I was impressed with the elaborate plasterwork, and Christopher was impressed that they painted it with gold.

We’ll be sad to be leaving this part of the country tomorrow. And I’m afraid that we won’t be seeing any more trees draped with Spanish moss. I will miss that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment