Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 18 - More from Topsail

Ok, it's time to leave Topsail. No, not because our reservations have expired - but my patience with the wildlife in our site has! I can handle the resident mouse and lizards. But I don't do well with (pigmy) rattlesnakes! It was waiting under the picnic table at dinner time, and I didn't even think to look under there when I sat down with my bare feet! Greg saw it first and calmly advised me to lift up my feet. Nice! Needless to say, I'm inside now! Wondering if an alligator will be visiting us next! Special thanks to Cliff who identified, captured and relocated (no, not to heaven) our rattlesnake for us!

These past couple days we've just been enjoying the beach and Outback company. I must say, I can't imagine we'll come across a friendlier group of campers - and I mean the entire campground, not just the Outbackers (who have been very welcoming)! The kids are really liking it here.

This morning I watched the sun rise on the beach. The ranger came down to see if any turtles came ashore to nest, but there were none. Back at the campground, Greg and Christopher were fishing in the nearby pond - fun, but no luck.

The weather has finally started taking its toll on us. Our entire trip has been high temps of 85-95 degrees with increasing humidity the further east we drive. The kids and I actually are hardly bothered by the temp and humidity though...what effects us the most is that Greg malfunctions in this kind of weather! We fix him with shade, a cool beverage, and esp. fresh seafood.

5 comments:

  1. It wouldn't be any fun if you didn't have a little life threatning excitement...Now everytime you see a picinic table you will think of that little snake....
    Now it is off to Georgia for all of you and I will look forward to your next entry. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to take pictures of Kristi walking around in her steel toed army boots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to post a comment earlier in your trip, but being the technologically challenge person I am it some how did't get posted. Anyway we are glad you are having fun and some excitement along the way. Love reading about your trip. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, scary about the rattlesnake! My heart would have been pounding... I can just hear Greg's voice, "Ummm... Kriiistiii...."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best Looking and SmartestJune 17, 2009 at 9:45 AM

    Kristi, was that rattlesnake picture taken from a safe distance, (from the roof of the trailer)?

    ReplyDelete